The Cooking Light instructions tell you to grill the eggplant; you get a smokier flavor from the eggplant using a grill. I've also roasted the eggplant in the oven and it turned out fine. I've included this method as an alternative in the directions.
Eggplant and Tomato-Mint Salsa
From Cooking Light
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped seeded tomato
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions1. Cut each eggplant in half lengthwise. Lightly score cut sides of eggplant.
2. Place eggplant, cut sides down, on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 20 minutes or until very tender, turning occasionally. Alternatively, place eggplant, cut sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake in a 425°F oven for about 45 minutes or until very tender.
3. Scoop pulp from eggplant halves and place in a sieve over a bowl. Discard peels. Let pulp stand 1 hour or until cool and thoroughly drained. Discard liquid.
4. Coarsely mash pulp, and place in a small bowl. Stir in tomato and remaining ingredients. Serve at room temperature, stirring just before serving.