If you’re like me, you still have a few Delicata squash leftover from October! Even if you don’t, this flavorful recipe from the October 2008 edition of Vegan Yum Yum will work with most winter squash varieties (http://veganyumyum.com/). The author writes, “…this soup has a velvety rich texture and creamy flavor that won’t disappoint.” Enjoy!
Delicata Squash Bisque
3 pounds Delicata squash, deseeded and baked
oil for roasting
4 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon thyme
1½ teaspoon salt, more or less to taste
For the Cashew Cream: 1 cup raw, unsalted cashews; 1 cup vegetable broth, divided.
1. Prepared baked squash in a 400 degree oven.
2. Add the cashews to your blender and ½ cup of veggie broth. Begin pulsing to incorporate, eventually turning the blender all the way on while slowly adding the other ½ cup of broth. Once all the broth is added, let the blender run for 1-2 minutes until very, very smooth. Set cream aside.
3. Transfer baked squash it into a large soup pot. Break up the squash into chunks with a spoon or your spatula and add four cups of veggie broth, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
4. Working in batches if needed, blend the soup until very smooth.
5. Return the blended soup to the pot and add all but ¼ cup of the cashew cream. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Remove soup to bowls (or mugs!) and garnish with extra cashew cream drizzled on the top and some fresh black pepper.