Monday, December 6, 2010

Mashed Parsnips

Looking for an alternative to mashed potatoes? Try this very versatile change of pace. My late-season parsnips were big and had slight notes of horseradish.

2 lbs parsnips (or four large ones)
Salted water for boiling
2 tbsp butter, blue cheese or good olive oil
1/4 cup milk or mild soy milk

I chopped it into small pieces striving to keep the pieces to about equal sizes so that they'd all cook about the same. I added them to slightly salted water to enhance the flavor and put them on a rolling boil covered for about 12 minutes. If you don't like using timers just use the fork test to make sure they're nice and tender.

I have a ricer to put it through but a fork would work just as well. You may have heard that you shouldn't use a blender on potatoes because it makes it gluey. I don't think that would happen with parsnips.

Blend with your flavorings of choice. I didn't add salt because the salty water added all that I needed. Tonight I added butter and just a touch of garlic and served it alongside a salad that I made with spinach and sliced turnip tossed with balsamic and olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment