Sunday, November 14, 2010

Arugula and Carrot with Pumpkin Dressing

I think the stars of this show are the amazing baby arugula that we got last week and, yum, puree of pumpkin. One of the fun things, ahem challenges, of a CSA are working with things that stretch you. This salad came about when I realized that I needed to use up a large bag of arugula and several root vegetables. My wife had a can of pumpkin puree open to make some cupcakes. After going back and forth a bit I ended up with this perfect salad for a crisp autumn day.

Dressing
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon salt

Salad
1 large handful of fresh young peppery arugula
1 medium sized carrot (about 4 inches)
Optional: 1/4 small apple and 1/4 red bell pepper
Pumpkin seeds for crunch. Can substitute home made croutons.

Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately. The carrots we had happened to be purple carrots so I had a wonderful and unexpected contrast of colors. Other contrast are the sweetness of the dressing with the pepperiness of the arugula and the textures of velvet pumpkin and crisp arugula and crunch of carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment