Thank you to Jeff, our warehouse manager, and his family for sharing their delicious vegan mac and cheese creation!
Vegan Mac and Cheese with Kale
Serves 4 to 6
4 tablespoons Earth Balance spread
¼ cup flour
3 cups vegetable broth
⅛ cup soy sauce
1½ tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon turmeric
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 pound cooked macaroni pasta
1 bunch kale, leaves cut from stems and chopped
For the topping:
2 tablespoons Earth Balance
1 cup breadcrumbs Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium size oven, over medium-low heat, melt the Earth Balance spread. Add flour and vegetable broth. Whisk into a smooth paste.
3. Stir in soy sauce, garlic powder, paprika, turmeric, and salt and pepper.
4. Add nutritional yeast and mix until the sauce is smooth and creamy.
5. Add cooked macaroni and chopped kale leaves to the sauce and stir until pasta and kale leaves are coasted evenly.
6. In a small saucepan, melt the Earth Balance spread and toss the breadcrumbs to coat. Top macaroni dish with this mixture.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Let rest for five minutes before serving.