Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Swiss Chard Tart

Hello! My name is Alissa, and I am a CSA shareholder in the Ambler area. This is my third year as part of the LFF CSA. I grew up in Lancaster County, and when I moved to the Philadelphia area I was really missing all the locally-grown fresh produce that I could find on every corner in Lancaster County. I am so glad that I found this CSA a few years ago. I love to cook, and I love being able to do so in a way that is fresh, tastes delicious, and helps support local family farmers to continue their work. I have also contributed to a small group recipe-sharing blog for the last 6 years, so I have lots of great recipes to share here!

You can easily adapt this recipe based on what you have on hand - try some other greens instead of the chard, or add diced ham or sausage for something different. Adapted from a recipe by Mario Batali

2 pounds Swiss chard, washed and spun dry
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/8 cup
4 large eggs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
3/4 cup bread crumbs
diced ham or sausage, optional

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Roughly chop the Swiss chard, discarding the rough stems (save for another use). Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Add the Swiss chard to the pan. Saute, turning over until cooked through and still bright green. Remove from pan.

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over a medium flame until hot but not smoking. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the Swiss chard back to the pan, and the parsley and ham (if using). Let cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, break the eggs into a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add 3 tablespoons of Parmigiano and, using a whisk, mix until the ingredients are well-blended. Add the egg mixture to the cooled Swiss chard and toss to combine.

Using the remaining olive oil to lightly grease a shallow 9-inch round or oval baking dish. Dust the bottom of the baking dish with 1/2 cup bread crumbs. Carefully place the Swiss chard and egg mixture into the pan. Dust with the remaining Parmigiano and then the remaining bread crumbs.

Bake until the top is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment