The following recipe is adapted from the food section of Michigan Local News.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Brown Rice and Ricotta
2 bell peppers
1 teaspoon lime juice
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoons chopped mint
1 minced clove of garlic
½ onion, chopped fine
¾ cup long-grain brown rice, prepared
¼ cup ricotta cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
mozzarella, if desired
1. After preparing the brown rice, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash the bell peppers thoroughly and cut them in half length-wise. Remove the seeds and ribs inside the pepper, but leave the stem, as this will help them maintain their structural integrity.
3. In a bowl, mix the lime and lemon juice, olive oil, parsley, mint, garlic, onions, brown rice, and ricotta. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Grease a small baking pan. Place the cut peppers hollow side up in the pan and fill each pepper-half with a quarter of the prepared mixture from step three. Top with shredded mozzarella, if desired.
5. Fill the bottom of the baking pan with about a ¼-inch of water. This will help the peppers to cook thoroughly.
6. Place the peppers in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes. The baking time will vary, but the peppers will be done when they feel tender.