Adapted from TheKitchn blog.
Baked Eggs with Summer Vegetables and Capers
Makes 2 hearty servings
2 cups yellow straightneck squash and/or zucchini (green or gold) and/or patty pan squash, cut into ½-inch pieces
⅔ cup chopped tomatoes
½ teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons capers
⅓ cup fresh mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch pieces
6 large fresh basil leaves, cut into long, thin strips and divided
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Heat 2 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add squash/zucchni and tomatoes. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir in capers. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are just tender.
3. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 4 large fresh basil leaves, cut into long, thin strips, and fresh mozzarella. Divide the vegetable mixture between two ramekins. Crack two eggs into each ramekin, taking care not to break the yolks.
4. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake until the whites are almost cooked, 7 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Bake for 2 additional minutes, or until the white are cooked and the yolks are still soft.
5. Sprinkle each serving with remaining fresh basil and serve immediately.