Fresh Corn and Black Bean Salad
makes about 8 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Chill time: 30 minutes
3 ears organic sweet corn
1 organic red pepper, chopped
1 organic red onion, chopped
1 18 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 C fresh cilantro leaves
1 C organic grape or cherry tomatoes, halved or whole
juice from one lime
1-2 avocados, cut into small chunks [optional]
1. To prep the corn, shuck each ear, and cut each cob in half.
2. Place the prepped corn cobs in a large pot of boiling water, and boil for 3-5 minutes, or until the corn is tender. [Alternately, you could skip this step and use raw corn kernels.]
3. Remove the corn from the water and let cool until you can safely handle them. (Since I was in no rush, I let the ears cool in the fridge overnight.)
4. After the corn has cooled, use a sharp knife to carefully cut the kernels from each cob.
5. Place the kernels into a large serving bowl.
6. Stir in the chopped red pepper, red onion, and black beans.
7. Add in the tomatoes and stir to combine.
8. Stir in the fresh lime juice.
9. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
10. Place in the fridge and let chill for at least half an hour. Give it a stir before serving.
11. If you want to take it up one more notch, top with chunks of avocado just before serving.
12. Serve the corn and black bean salad by itself or over a bed of quinoa.