The following recipe is adapted from Health Food Lazy People blog.
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Beans and Rice
4 bell peppers
3 cups cooked rice
1 half can black beans
2 ears corn, shucked and kernels cut off the cobs (or can use ¾ cup frozen)
½ onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1¾ cups crushed tomatoes 1
cup cheese (your choice, but cheddar is delicious!)
¼ cup diced jalapenos (optional)
½ cup water
1. Cook rice and set aside.
2. Cut the tops off of the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds. They need to be softened before being stuffed, so either steam them for a few minutes or boil them for about 8 minutes. They should soft but not floppy, able to stand up by themselves and hold their shape, but not crisp.
3. In a small fry pan, sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until the onions become translucent.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, sautéed onions, garlic, jalapenos, black beans, corn, seasoning, and a ½ cup of cheese. Mix well.
5. When the peppers are softened, stand them upright in a baking dish and fill them with stuffing mixture and top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
6. Pour a ½ cup of water in the bottom of the dish around the peppers.
7. Set the oven to 350 degrees, and bake covered for 20 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese on top is golden brown.